Plan Your Trip
Discover world-class wine, quality premium produce, artisan dining amongst pristine forests & coastal seascapes, within easy access of Perth, Western Australia’s vibrant capital city.
The Great Southern is the largest and most diverse region within Australia’s South West. It varies from unspoilt coastline, and idyllic seaside towns to sprawling agricultural lands and national parks harbouring some of the world’s rarest species of flora.
Autumn In The Great Southern (March to May)
The festival is held during one of the most idyllic seasons on the South Coast. Mild daytime temperatures, make this a perfect time to bushwalk and sightsee to compliment your experience of our festival events. Between March to April, winemakers are harvesting and there is an abundance of fresh produce to be experienced at cafes and restaurants throughout the region. Evenings are cool and light showers are followed by lengthy bursts of sunshine.
Throughout the region, a range of accommodation is available to suit all traveller’s needs. Whether you are travelling as a couple, a family or a youth, there is plenty of choice.
Albany is the major city and gateway to the Great Southern region, and can be conveniently accessed by a 50 minute cost effective direct flight from Perth aboard Rex Airlines 4 times per day Mon – Fri and 1 per day Sat – Sun. To book flights visit
www.rex.com.au or call 13 17 13 (within Australia)
Self-drive or hire a car from Perth to visit the region via Albany Hwy – approx. 4 ½ hours drive. Easy road access from Margaret River is approx. a 3 hour drive to Denmark in the West. Access from Esperance is approx. 4 hours.
Once settled in your accommodation consider leaving your car and letting the below services do the driving.
Some events have a transport option which means you can relax while the skipper duties are taken care of! Book ahead to ensure your safe return home.
SELF DRIVE ITINERARIES
With over 30 events to choose from there are plenty of options for everyone. Use our suggested itineraries to help you create your own Taste Great Southern experience.
TOP THINGS TO DO IN THE GREAT SOUTHERN
- Enjoy a beach day at the beautiful Green’s Pool and lose yourself at Elephant Rocks, near Denmark.
- Hike one of Western Australia’s highest peaks, Bluff Knoll, for spectacular views, located in the Stirling Range National Park.
- Marvel at the coastline from the Gap and Natural Bridge lookouts in Torndirrup National Park, Albany.
- Bremer Bay is home to some of the most stunning beaches in Western Australia and the Killer Whale Tours.
- Discover the whaling heritage of Albany, plus WA’s flora and fauna at Discovery Bay.
- Check out the art trail from FORM lighting up a series of electrical transformer boxes and wall in the town centre with murals by prominent WA artists, in Katanning.
- Climb The Granite Skywalk in The Porongurup National Park for awesome 360 degree views of the countryside, in Mount Barker.
- Drive the Scotsdale Road tourist drive, stopping regularly to taste produce and wines, near Denmark.
- Spot the endangered Malleefowl which lives in the Mallee trees near Ongerup.
- Visit Kodja Place in Kojonup and learn how the stories of settlers, aboriginals and migrants intertwine.
Head to The Amazing South Coast website and browse through hundreds of amazing experiences, tastes and stays from across the region.