1 lamb shoulder with bone in
1 cup white wine
1 cup water
4 cloves of garlic
Small bunch of thyme (leaves picked)
1 tablespoon hot smoky paprika
½ preserved lemon finely chopped, (skin and flesh)
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
Grinding of Pepper
4 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 150 fan-forced or 160°C.
- Blitz spice paste together in food processor.
- Place the lamb shoulder in a heavy-based casserole dish with dash of oil and lightly brown on each side.
- Rub the spice paste over the top and sides of browned lamb.
- Pour the wine and water over the lamb. Cover with a sheet of baking paper and the lid to create a good seal.
- Bake for 5 hours and remove from the oven when the meat is tender and easily falls off the bone.
- Before serving, rest for 20 to 30minutes in the casserole dish, covered.
- To serve, pull the lamb off the bone using 2 forks and serve on a platter.
- Spoon any pan juices over the meat and scatter with fresh mint or parsley.
- Delicious served with tabouli, flat breads and yoghurt.